What is MAC address?
MAC stands for Media Access Control address, this address is a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces for communications on the physical network segment.MAC addresses are used as a network address for most IEEE 802 network technologies, including Ethernet and Wfi.Logically, MAC addresses are used in the media access control protocol sub layer of the OSI reference model-Wikipedia
Now moving in to the topic here we are sharing some steps related to How to find and change Mac Address. The main purpose of finding MAC address is to enable the MAC filtering option. Here the need of enabling MAC filtering option comes for configuring Wi-Fi modem to make it more secure. They are mainly five points where MAC Addresses are used
- Static IP Assignment
- MAC Address Filtering
- MAC Authentication
- Device Identification
- Device Tracking
Each particular device and the network interface has its own MAC address uniquely. Example for MAC address: E5:12:D8:E5:69:97.They are some basic requirements needed to change the MAC address of your phone, first of all you should have a rooted android phone and apps like BusyBox and Terminal apps are to be installed.
What are advantages of changing Mac Address?
If you have this question in your mind, I would like to tell, every app you install or the IP assigned to your device is truly based on your MAC address. IP address varies but MAC address will never vary. So for example let us consider, Whatsapp the most use chatting app over other apps available. Read: Whatsapp vs Hike If I am not wrong, you might be knowing that you can’t install two whatsapp accounts on same mobile, do you know the reason..? Because whatsapp when activated will be linked to your mobile number followed by mac address. So when ever you try to access another whatsapp account, you need to verify your mobile number.
When there is good, obviously there would be bad. Like advantages, changing mac address also have some disadvantages. If you are not familiar, when you goto your near mobile/laptop service centers, they will take your product and will note down the mac address as knowing the product is original from company. Though this is not a major issue, people don’t care such kind of disadvantages.
And below we have summed up some steps to be followed while spoofing your MAC address.
How To find MAC Address of Android Mobile?
- Unlock your android mobile and then move to menu options
- Find the settings in all the apps and goto Settings
- After moving in to setting scroll down there it appears About Phone
- Then goto About Phone and click on Hardware Information
- There you find Wi-Fi MAC address with a format like : 00:00:00:00:00:00
- If you don’t find the Hardware Information in your settings click on status
- After clicking on scroll down there it appears Wi-Fi MAC address
How To change MAC address on your Android phone
- The main requirement is that your android mobile should be rooted to change the MAC address
- Then install BusyBox app from the Google play
- After installing BusyBox you need to also install Terminal app
- Once after installing all the requirements that you have needed, open the Terminal app and type the commands which are given below
$ su – Click on Enter
$ busybox iplink show eth0- Click on Enter
- The above commands listed are used to show your current MAC address of android phone
- Now follow this command carefully which is listed below
$ busybox ifconfig eth0 hw ether AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA- Click on Enter
Note- Replace that AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA with your new MAC address
- Third command is basically to important one to follow which you can replace your needed MAC address in that command
- By following all the above commands carefully one can easily change their MAC address. To check whether it is changed or not follow the command
$ busybox iplink show eth0- Click on Enter
This process which we shared may work or may not work depends on the settings kept and the properties of the certain android phone. The problems may come in this way that your process which had done seem to be done but the thing is it will show the same old MAC address again and some others may get change. Here this will be a temporary approach which if you get your android phone to Airplane Mode or rebooting your device or in the cases of turning off and on again Wi-Fi may cause change in your MAC address to the default value which it have before. Apart from there is a permanent approach but you will lose Warranty and brick your device.
Conclusion: The above mentioned methods are dam easy ways to find your mac address and change it in your android mobile. There are many reasons why people looking to change mac address of their smartphone. Hope you got this article helpful to change mac address. You may check best whatsapp tricks